The decision to write to a transplant recipient is a very personal one.As a family member of a donor, you may or may not decide to write a note to the transplant recipients. It is your personal choice. If you decide to write, here are some suggestions:
- Write about information that you feel comfortable sharing about you, your loved one who donated, and other family members. This may include occupation, hobbies or interests, perhaps special things your loved one liked to do or information about your family.
- You may include first names of yourself, your loved one, and other family members, and the state in which you reside.
- Sign only your first name.
- Keep identities anonymous and confidential. Avoid including any last names, street addresses, city names, phone numbers, or names of hospitals or physicians. On occasion, donor families and transplant recipients may wish to reveal identities to each other. Both must agree to this before any personal information will be released by the eye bank.
- Include a separate sheet of paper with your full name, and name and date of death of your loved one.
- Mail both your letter or card and the separate note to:
Attn: Donor Family Correspondence
San Antonio Eye Bank
9150 Huebner Road, Suite 105
San Antonio, Texas 78240
If you have any questions or concerns about this information, please contact the San Antonio Eye Bank.